In order to get satisfactory tip life, especially using LEAD FREE alloys the following should be taken into account.
· Our experience shows that 90% of solder joints using JBC tools can be performed successfully at 350ºC (660ºF), in any case it is not recommended to exceed 370ºC (700ºF).
· The force applied on a soldering iron should not be more that it’s own weight.
· To prevent the tip from oxidizing and corroding fresh solder should be added before putting the iron back in its stand.
· Adapt the tip size correctly to the solder joint.
· Do not apply abrasive surfaces to clean the plated area.
· Use a mild flux.
· Keep sponges clean and damp, not swamped.
· Only use original JBC sponges; other sponges may contain substances that reduce tip life.
· Use distilled/de-ionized water and avoid tap water; tap water contains substances that reduce tip life.
· Only use tip re-tinner when absolutely necessary; when the tip is oxidized and cannot be cleaned using the sponge or other non agressive cleaning methods.